Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Random Thoughts

I sat down with a new music student this morning, he's 18 and has been playing guitar for over 4 years. Apparently he's pretty proficient at the guitar, however he doesn't know how to read any music. He knows nothing about note names, note values - nothing. How can that be? Is that like being able to speak a language but not being able to read or write it? It is a interesting phenomenon to me. I guess I learned to sing as a child before I could read music - is it the same thing?

3 comments:

Jules said...

I guess some people are programed differently. I hope that learning how to read music will improve his skills.

Julie B said...

I have been singing for years but I still don't read music. I think it is the same. Sometimes it's just something you hear. I know that with your help he'll be a better musician.

Lauren said...

LOL, are you asking or just venting? I am glad that he finally took it upon himself to get some training!