Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Political Debut

I have to say that my girls are pretty darn impressive. Tonight we went to a town meeting regarding a controversial proposed development.

They have tried to present this project so many different ways, and everyone seems to keep saying - 'NO, we don't want this - it isn't right for our town.' However, they try to dress it up and present it again. Anyways, it was on the table again tonight. The meeting started at 6:00 and the first 1.50 minutes were REALLY dry - all about the financials and infrastructure - (okay, so it was pretty interesting but not for a kid.) Our girls were GREAT. We'd talked to them about the proposal before attending and shared a few of our thoughts about it, but asked the girls to make their own decision about it - that's why we were going to the town board meeting. They were very interested in attending.

Well - they were SO quiet during the meeting -I wish I could harness their behavior for church! One even fell asleep, and people commented on how well behaved they were.

After what seemed like an eternity, there was a short break and then they opened the floor for public input. I had signed up to speak, and discussed some of our reasons for choosing to live here - the quality of life factors as well as the smallness and intimacy of a small community.

My daughter had also signed herself up to speak and she addressed everyone - the room was packed - standing room only. She talked about how the animals are important to her and that this proposal negatively impacts the wildlife habitat of several deer and elk herds which feed there during the winter. She was nervous and passionate - she did such a great job. As she went to sit down, the room erupted into applause.

I love living in a small town where I have an opportunity to learn how local and civic government works (I've been doing my fair share this past year,) and to become involved and help shape the future of my community. I especially love that my kids are learning to speak out and stand up for what they believe in.

What an awesome blessing that we have the freedom of speech. It will be interesting to see how things turn out. Anyways - I thought it was worth a post. Pretty cool.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, that is so neat that your daughter is so brave and passionate about things like that. I think it is wonderful that you are teaching her from such a tender age to take a part in the community and to not sit idly by while people do things that you are against. What a wonderful mother you are.

Julie B said...

I agree with Amy, what a great mom you are. I am impressed that your kids went with you to the town meeting. So often I assume that my kids won't be interested or won't want to go(not that I go to town meetings)so I leave them home and figure it's their loss. Thats great that you are so involved in your community.