Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Newly acquired world title!

I am officially the meanest mom in the world - if that was your title, I'm sorry, you've lost it and I am now currently the reigning champion. You'll have to try a little harder next time. Soon I will be publishing a how to book on the subject which you may read so that you can become as mean as me. Hmmm - maybe that will be the title...

I want to know - How the heck do you get your kids out the door in the morning on time?

This morning my kids had 3 jobs.
1. Get dressed (after I handed them some clothes from their drawers)
2. Eat breakfast
3. Out the door by 7:55 am

Somehow only one of my children made it. She even had 5 minutes to get her hair fixed.

The other didn't make it - she was still standing on the heat vent at 7:55. She made it to the front porch at 7:57 with all of her gear piled around her (cause you know, I'm mean and the rule is that they have to be out the door naked or not at that time.)

Last year this child had 26 tardies in one semester. I've begged, I've plead, I've deposited her onto the porch as she is.... I'm just wondering if there are any nice moms out there that have figured this out already. I'm thinking that bedtime will start coming 30 minutes earlier each night that we are late in the morning?

Please comment with your solutions. I can't say I wear my title proudly (meanest mom in the world,) I don't even want it - but I do want on time, good kids.

I can use your solutions for chapter 1, and I'll give you a byline as well.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Well since I have so much experience with being on time, I am going to advise you. I would say the bedtime idea is a great one. You could be like Dad and stand by the door with a stop watch. Every minute she is late is 30 minutes added to her bedtime.

lizzie said...

well i wish i knew. i left today without anna. why should mikey be late because of her. she was not happy. oh well. when you figure it out, let me know. the sad thing is, she actually went to bed early and good last night.

Jules said...

I'm glad that you've taken on the role of meanest mom so gracefully. I was hoping to get out of it somehow, but I didn't know how to ask anyone to do such a favor.

I wish I had some great advice for you on the tardy issues, but I am drawing a blank.

Is there some reason she doesn't like to be on time? Is she bored during the first 20 minutes of school? Does she like school?

Tisha said...

If you have the meanest mom in the world title, I must be runner-up. We have the EXACT problem in the morning, but James doesn't even have to be to school until 8:50! I think they stopped counting his tardies. He just doesn't have a sense of urgency and no matter how much I prod, cajole, nag, beg. If there are fights about it in the morning I just take it out of his reading time at night. Let me know what you figure out.

Julie B said...

I am thinking that maybe this child of yours needs to get up earlier? I don't know what your schedule is like but it sounds like she doesn't have enough time to hang out on the heater. I can't say too much because my kids only mind me when they want to. I am tired of yelling. We don't have too many issues with being late for school. We have many many other issues. Maybe instead of a punishment for being late, maybe a reward for each day she's on time, I dunno, just a thought.