Friday, January 2, 2009

The annual New Years Eve Party Bash - 2009

Well, I dropped my camera today and I can't get it to turn on now, so I'm thinking it may take a while before I get any photos up.

We decided to host our annual New Year's Eve party again this year. Unfortunately, I found out I needed to go to the dentist to get some crown work done that morning prior to our party. Have I ever mentioned how I really love my dentist? He's my cousin and he's the bomb. He also lives and works two hours away.

Despite my love for my cousin, I really, really, have dental anxiety. He had me come in early just so we'd have 2 hours to get me properly numbed up. I am a historically bad number upper - it takes forever. And yes, it took a very long time and lots of big needles with nasty gaggy drugs in them. Finally, he did what he needed to do and it maybe took him all of 25 minutes. I then drove back home.

I had gotten up super early to make the traditional Buche de noel (yuletide) cake, and to start the beans and the pork roast - we did a 'Cafe Rio' dinner.



I came home from the dentist and laid down because I wasn't feeling so good. Got up, and finished things up - my house was definitely not as clean as I had hoped. I made my meringue mushrooms which looked like this -


And I hoped that no one would venture to my basement. I think everyone was scared after they went down there. It wasn't that it is horrible - it was that my laundry room was pretty darn full and everyone who went to the basement had to pass through my laundry area. Not a pretty sight.

Anyways, we had approximately 25 people come to our party. We did the 'guess whose name is on your back' game while we were mingling and eating. Later, we played the 'Lying' game where everyone tells two truths and one lie about themselves and everyone guesses which is the lie. Ours took on a twist as the first player decided to tell stories to play the game. Everyone else followed suit, and it was fun to hear everyone's different stories. We invited some people who had recently moved to the area who we didn't know well, some who we knew pretty well, and some who have been coming to our annual NYE party for six or seven years. It turned out to be a pretty good mix.

As NYE approached, one friend (who shall remain nameless) went outside and began to set off fireworks. They went VERY high up in the sky and were beautiful. Then he let off some VERY LOUD poppers that went on for a very long time. They also ascended heavenwards. I believe that those fireworks were maybe not very legal. But they were very fun and beautiful. I was waiting for the chief of police to show up at the door and tell me that my cordial relationship with him had been shot. He never came. I was very relieved.

I am excited for this new year. I'm excited about my husband's upcoming graduation, and for spring and summer. I'm excited to have family time, and for the trips and reunions we've planned - bring on 2009!

2 comments:

Tisha said...

Sounds like so much fun! Those mushrooms look REALLY cool.
Happy New Year!

Lauren said...

It was great! fireworks included. ( : I keep forgetting to tell you that the snowboots fit cobin perfectly. THANKS!