Saturday, December 13, 2008

Another year!

Several years ago (I'm not saying how many) I met my husband. He noticed that I had joined our church choir, and so he too joined up. That year we learned and performed 'Otro año mas' meaning - another year has passed. It talks about looking back and evaluating the past year. Is there something I can and should do better the next year etc. A fairly interesting hymn of self reflection to say the least.
My husband still remembers this hymn and enjoys singing it with gusto.

So as I thought about this blog, I thought about the related hymn. We just hit another anniversary - yep another one and we still like each other. We even still love each other. Marriage - what a miracle.

It's kind of funny when you meet the person that completes you and sort of fills in that other half. Where I'm off the walls (yes, me-gasp) he is down to earth. He is patient, generous, and kind, and over the years I've seen him turn in to a very wise man who gives great counsel (generally in the form of - just sleep on it, don't say anything and DON'T write any e-mails or letters about it - wait until tomorrow.) He shares my joys and my sorrows and is my best friend. He's the last person I want to see each night and the first one I want to see in the morning. I'm so grateful and thrilled that he's mine. We share our hopes and our dreams and look forward to the future together.

Although we discussed lots of fun filled romantic anniversary options, ultimately, we ended up sitting in the dentist's chair for our six month exams and then getting snow tires. What could be more romantic you ask? It's true, I was all aflutter:)

As we were in a slightly unfamiliar town, we made plans to go to dinner. After first trying a restaurant which had peanut shells strewn all over the floor, raw slabs of meet at the entry, hordes of people, and a 50 minute wait, then a Indian restaurant that was a hole in the wall, we finally opted for a nice little Italian restaurant complete with candles and twinkle lights. We had a very enjoyable dinner, and then went back to where we were staying and watched an edited version of 'Gladiator.' Yep - there's the reality for you. It just isn't possible for every year to be a tropical get away anniversary. And really - that's okay with me. Just like anything there are ups and downs. Life isn't a tropical island and sometimes you need the dentist and snow tires. The journey isn't really that important - rather, it's sharing the journey that counts.

Here's our self portrait we took from our cell phone at the restaurant.
 
Posted by Picasa

And yes - my dentist is great - check out that sparkly smile!

1 comment:

Tisha said...

Happy Anniversary! Congrats on the snow tires... you guys are pretty wild and crazy.