Monday, November 3, 2008

The food storage challenge

Did you know that in 1913 over 7 feet of snow fell from one storm and 35 mi/hr winds were sustained in my area?
Living in our area, the accesses in and out are very limited. As such, if the road is closed, no one gets in or out. We've had avalanches that took two weeks to clear from the roads - the grocery stores were barren.
In church yesterday we discussed the importance of our being prepared. We were challenged to live off of our food storage for the next two weeks. The point was that it should give us a pretty good idea of what we might need, what we might like, and that we might also see how prepared we actually are.
Kind of interesting to think about - how would you do???

Well, we came home and my husband immediately inventoried our freezer and our pantry. We are up for the challenge - it will be interesting to see how we manage.

While we'd planned on a bigger meal for lunch, my daughter wanted breakfast for lunch so we fared with pancakes and spam (yum, I know.) After taking an easy day, we ended up with some peaches on toast for dinner.

I thought it would be fun to sort of journal this and see how we actually do.
I dare you to try it!

3 comments:

Jules said...

I can't wait to see how the next two weeks go!
Good luck.

Milly said...

It's really an interesting study. We were forced to do it a little while ago, and I am so grateful for the prompting I had to fill up my food storage! Good luck with this. There is a very interesting blog I found that actually teaches you to live off of your food storage. There are recipes and the like. You should check it out this week. Go to safelygatheredin.blogspot.com.

lizzie said...

so far, so okay for us. except anna has strep throat so we had to get a few things. anywho...we are trying to do it. it's interesting.