Sunday, April 13, 2008

Recent Recipes - Fast, easy and impressive

I always tell people I'll give them the recipe for something and then I forget and never do it. That may be one of the reasons why I have so many friends - you can count on me.
So - I decided I'd post a few of my more recent and favorite ones.
This first I found while looking through a friend's recipes. It was a handwritten recipe titled 'cornflake globs,' which honestly doesn't sound very appealing. However, after looking over the recipe I realized they were a recipe that I remember from my childhood - the original "Barf Bars". Yes - as unappetizing as they sound, I was thrilled to chance upon them. My daughter made them, and all of my friends (and hers) seemed to like them and want the recipe. As a kid, I remember someone taking them to school as their birthday treat, and my friends clamoring over them on other occasions. Despite the unpalatable title, here they are - the bonus is that they take approximately 5 minutes to make - maybe 10 to cool?, and use only 4 ingredients which you may already have in your home right now...(quick FHE treat anyone?)

Barf Bars
1 c. light corn syrup (this would be in color rather than calories)
1 c. sugar
1 c. peanut butter
6 c. cheerios

Mix syrup and sugar in sauce pan and bring to a boil while stirring. Allow to cook for 2 minutes while stirring constantly. Add peanut butter to mixture, mix, then pour over cheerios and stir until coated. Pour contents onto a piece of waxed paper, or into a 9x13 pan (greased or sprayed with Pam), and mold into shape of pan (like you do with rice krispy treats). Allow to cool, and cut into bars. Once you see the finished product, you may understand the title. Apparently, they can be made with corn flakes as well.


Another super quick, 4 ingredient recipe:
This is a great treat, especially for those who love english toffee, but who may be intimidated by candy making, or short on time.

Mock Toffee

1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1-2 c. milk chocolate chips
1-2 packages saltine crackers (salted)
1/2 c. chopped almonds (optional garnish)

Pre-heat oven to 400*.
In saucepan bring butter and brown sugar to a boil over medium heat. Once bubbles begin to start, do NOT stir. Allow to boil for three minutes. Meanwhile, line cookie sheet with saltine crackers, salty side up (pan may be lined with foil for easier clean up.) Once mixture has boiled for 3 minutes, pour over saltines and spread evenly. Place in oven for 5 minutes. Remove and immediately sprinkle milk chocolate chips on top. When they have melted, spread evenly. Garnish with chopped nuts almonds and allow to cool. Break into pieces to serve.
**NOTE: You must use milk chocolate chips for this recipe as semi-sweet chips will not set up after melting.



I found the following recipe on a RS calendar/bulletin last fall and it looked interesting so I saved it. It received rave reviews from everyone at my husband's office:

Earthquake Cake

Coconut to cover bottom of 9x13 pan
1 c. chopped nuts
1 German chocolate cake mix (I used devils food - still worked great)
1 stick margarine
1 lb. powdered sugar (4 c.)
1 8 oz cream cheese brick

Grease pan. Cover bottom with coconut, then nuts. Prepare cake mix as directed. Pour over coconut and nuts. Combine margarine, cream cheese and powdered sugar and cream together. Spoon over cake but do not mix (yes this is a weird part - I ended up using my hands and trying to sort of place/spread it out - but do it anyways.) Bake at 350 for one hour (I think mine took a little less due to altitude - check it when it REALLY smells like a cooked cake.)
**This is called earthquake cake because when it is done it looks like an earthquake hit it. This is fun as it definitely isn't your everyday cake. Also works in a dutch oven and serves well either hot or cold.

My addictive salad
A friend invited us for dinner and I helped her make this salad - since then, I've slightly adapted it, and have become addicted to it - and I have always hated oil and vinegar dressings!

Drizzle approximately 2-3 T. olive oil in the bottom of salad bowl (depending on how big your salad will be). Add 1-2 finely chopped fresh garlic cloves. Add 1-3 t. dill (fresh or dried). Allow to seep for 5-10 minutes. Add salad greens (not iceberg,) 1/2 c. Craisins, and 1/2 c. nuts of your choice (I generally use whole toasted almonds) and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat all ingredients with olive oil. Add enough balsamic vinegar to coat, and toss everything again in the vinegar. Parmesan or feta cheese may be added as a garnish. Serve immediately.

I learned that if you toss first with the olive oil and later with the vinegar, you don't have to deal with the oily taste (which I hate) nor any separation problems.

I'd love to hear if/how they turn out for you...and for the record - I can and do cook healthy stuff too. My husband recently started taking treats into work on staff meeting days, so I've been enjoying trying new recipes. Sigh...I'm so domestic.

No comments: