Saturday, April 12, 2008

Oh my GOODNESS!!

I am SO dead. We spent a pretty crazy day today, and it may take us weeks to recover! We started out the morning sleeping in (which I have to say is very nice, and since when is 7:15 sleeping in?).
Anyways, my husband ran to the auto parts store while I made breakfast, and then a friend stopped by to help us get the fuel pump back in the car (which they'd taken out 3 weeks ago). He decided to have breakfast with us, and then they went out to work.

Meanwhile, I decided to get rid of some cardboard boxes that were in the front room. I personally assembled our little rototiller - and felt very cool when it was all assembled and worked and everything! No masculine help whatsoever!

Once they got the fuel pump in, my husband took over and got it gassed up and going. He had a blast tilling the garden - I was sort of jealous (except that I did it all last year -so I was okay to share). After he tilled, I hoed (boy that's a fun verb to try and figure out how to conjugate) and cleaned out all the weeds and rocks that were unearthed. I then went through the strawberry and raspberry patches cleaning out all the old leaves and debris. What a job! Before we started, we put together a compost device, which I'm afraid is just a couple of pieces of plastic - but we'll see how they work. Meanwhile, my husband decided to try out the thatch attachment for the tiller. He started to de-thatch the grass. What a project...the girls and I were in charge of raking all of the grass that was de-thatched, and boy that baby worked. I have several blisters. I finally resorted to filling up the wagon and hauling all of the dead/dry grass. On the front side of our house I think I got 4 wagon loads alone! The composter is now completely full, as is our trash can - and we have no place to put our garbage...
But - our yard looks great. We planted a couple of bulbs, but most importantly, we got ALL of the toys from last summer (previously hidden under the snow) out of the yard. It almost looks like a yard, and we even got some week killer put down which we hope will clean everything out of the garden before we begin planting.

Anyways - no, I didn't wear sunscreen, yes I got sunburned, yes part of our lawn was still frozen and ice chunks came up, yes our lawn looks better than our neighbors', and yes I'm exhausted and going to bed. I surpassed all of even my own expectations for getting things done today. We even had time for a trip to get some sewing things I need, and to thankfully, let someone else make dinner for us. Too bad it took us so long to get there and back, because it took too much effort to push that gas pedal down to more than 50 mph. (Never thought you'd hear me say that one huh?) :)
Ah...to sleep - there's the rub. That's it - I'm out.

2 comments:

lizzie said...

wow! i can't wait to see it all...

Ashlee said...

I love those days! They are so exhausting but they are so worth it! And the sun is actually a perk...it may hurt for a couple days but the tan looks great in April right? We want to come down this summer sometime to visit so were excited to see all your hard work in growing motion!