Thursday, October 28, 2010

The latest news and gossip from our family

Okay...unfortunately, I really know no gossip.  It sounded good though.

Really - I'm still here.  Just been very busy.
Our youngest daughter once again (yes within a month) has strep again.  Grrrrrr..

We've just been busy trying to stay on top of life.  I played for a big wedding last weekend that seemed to take the whole day...this week besides strep, I've been finishing up my kids' Christmas presents.  I started a bedspread quilt top for each of them over 2 years ago.  My youngest daughter asked for me to make her a blanket for her birthday and I figured I could do it for Christmas - even better.  Needless to say, I've been doing a lot of sewing.  Just dropped everything off yesterday to be quilted and can't WAIT to see how they turn out.  I've done identical patterns for each block, but used completely different colors for each of them.  It is AMAZING to me how different they look, even though they are so similarly made!  

I wish I had something really profound to say - but I don't.  I must be getting old, because I've actually been getting (and needing) 8+ hours of sleep each night...so odd for me.

I had an interesting experience on Tuesday though.  I was headed to a town about 30 minutes away to look at some faux fur at the fabric store.  My daughter is going to be oscar the grouch for Halloween.  Anyways, as I drove down, I drove through a dangerous, narrow canyon which is sometimes prone to rockslides.  As I passed through, I thought - wow - it would really stink to get stuck in a rockslide here today.  There's no cell service right here, and what would I do?  My kids are getting home from schoool, and I have students whose private lessons I would need to somehow cancel.  

I did my errands and headed back home.  I walked in the door and checked my e-mail.  I saw a notice from our local emergency email, that just minutes after I had passed through a certain spot in the canyon, there indeed had been a rockslide which stopped traffic for several hours.  I know that God hears and answers our prayers.  Each morning we pray together as a family for safety and for safe returns...I'm glad our prayer was answered this week.

Today and tomorrow I am frantically putting together Halloween costumes etc.  Making treats for the kids' classes...the little blue guys of course.  The kids requested them again - for the third or fourth year in a row.

A friend's father passed away this week, I will be playing my cello at the services, so I've been working on music for this during the week.  We've got a dinner date with friends this weekend, as well as the funeral service, hopefully a temple trip, a church Halloween party and chili cookoff, and then the missionaries for dinner on Sunday.  I'm hoping I can get everything done.

Our oldest will be Oscar the Grouch for Halloween (I've just got to finish her garbage can), and our youngest is a Christmas present.  I've built the box, and now just have to wrap it and find a good bow for her hair.  I love that my kids want to be original and creative with their costumes...sometimes I end up with the brunt of the work though.  Just trying to slow it down and enjoy it all while they are still little and want to hang out and interact with us.

Gotta go finish some costumes.  I'll post some pics once we've got them!  

No comments: