Sunday, April 12, 2009

Pato Bantan Concert

Every now and then I receive e-mails regarding local events, and earlier in the week I received one regarding a concert. The performer's name is Pato Bantan. I heard him MANY years ago on the radio, and the one song I heard really impressed me.

I started to think about going, but don't do much of the night life, but I kept kicking it around. I finally asked a couple of girlfriends and while they didn't know any of the music, they were happy to try it out with me.

We arrived at 9:27 (since the doors opened at 9, and the concert supposedly started at 9:30.) We were pretty surprised since we were the only ones there, but figured we'd sit down and wait and see what would happen.

Well, around 10:45 a cover band began to play - we couldn't believe how late it was and the cover was just starting!
They continued to play until 12:00 when FINALLY Pato got there. As he came in, we saw him and as he came right by, we asked if we could take a picture with him and so we got to meet him.

Later, during the concert, we sidled up to the front. After a long set of really energetic stuff, I shouted out, "Opinion" which was the first song I'd heard of his that I loved. He then dedicated the song to me - how about that?

Well, after the show ended at 1:30 (yes, AM) we were heading out, and my friends decided to get a photo with him since he was again right there by our coats. He shook all of our hands, said it was a pleasure to meet us and gave me a hug and kiss on the cheek.

It was a pretty fun and crazy night. I haven't been to a concert in years, and never to a reggae concert. I loved the intimacy of the smaller venue, and loved the music and to be able jam. While the timing (lateness) thoroughly threw off my personal clock, it was definitely one of those rare experiences that are so fun to look back on.

1 comment:

Amy said...

That sounds like SO MUCH FUN! I am a little jealous of you. I guess the nice part about living where you do is all of the great shows and concerts you get to go to. Wow. I am glad you had fun, and hopefully you got enough sleep that night.