Friday, September 12, 2008

An addition to our family!!

We’ve had an addition to the family – I can’t believe I haven’t introduced our new arrival yet! Two weeks ago, I was sweeping the kitchen floor and the cat brought me in a present. (She does that from time to time and they are usually live – and then all …. Well, you get the picture.)

This time, it wasn’t a bird and it wasn’t a mouse. She outdid herself this time – she caught a lizard! Yep, right from our backyard. I picked it up and showed the girls –they were in awe. I let them carry it outside to put back into it’s habitat. Next thing I know, it is on the trampoline with a group of kids and then on my table in a box with some food and water!!



Well – a friend lent us all of her snake get up, and we named her Lizzie. We even drove down and got her food and mulch and all sorts of stuff.
Unfortunately, Lizzie wasn’t alive the next morning. Two crying little girls and their daddy ceremoniously buried her.

Did you know that 80% of the reptiles within the US carry salmonella? Ironically, I got rather sick that day as did my little one… it lasted about 3-4 days. A bit suspicious I think~

Well, we figured that since we had the get up, we’d go get another one. So we drove another 30 miles to the pet store to find a cheap lizard… well…let’s just say it hasn’t been cheap. And now we also have a box full of pet crickets..what did we get ourselves into?

Here’s our new lizard. He’s a leopard gecko – we are still working on his name. He may remain nameless as some have voted for Brown, and others for Bandaid. I liked Lenny.

2 comments:

lizzie said...

i really like lenny!

Jules said...

Love the unnamed lizard. Good luck with the crickets. They are really tough to catch.