Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happy Pioneer Day!!


I generally forget those holidays and important days which would be so very cool to celebrate with my family, but I remembered this one (maybe since it is a state holiday in Utah.) We will be celebrating - just how, I'm not sure yet. Wheat mush for breakfast anyone?

I am proud to be a descendant of Mormon Pioneers. My ancestors accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ and then traveled to live with the Mormon Saints. One was a body guard to Joseph Smith and spent time with him in Liberty Jail, whereas another crossed the plains on a wooden leg, another buried his wife and a child at Martin's Cove in Wyoming, and another buried a child in Winter Quarters Nebraska. In the past several years, I have been able to visit all of these areas and have gained an increased understanding and appreciation for my ancestors! In several weeks I will be trekking with our youth to Martin's Cove to once again feel that spirit and realize and recognize the sacrifices which my ancestors made for me! What a rich heritage I am blessed to have. These people (who I did not know) suffered and sacrificed incredibly for what they believed and for their posterity (me.) I am ever so grateful! As such - we will be taking some time to celebrate them this day.

3 comments:

Milly said...

Wow, I didn't know about our ancestor being a relative to Joseph Smith, or being with him in Martin's Cove. Who was that? Happy Pioneer Day! We will miss you while celebrating. I don't know what we are doing either, but we will miss you and your family.

lizzie said...

i miss being in utah for pioneer day! i would be watching the days of '47 parade right now!

The CLAMShack: said...

happy pioneer day to you! remember all those neighborhood parades? at my parents house, i just came across a picture of us dressed up in bonnets and our little wagon turned into a "covered wagon"! how hilarious!!! did you know that through my "colby" family, i am now related to Brigham Young, or maybe it was Joseph Smith. how awesome is that!?