Sunday, April 27, 2008

Poke the Pappa!

So, we came home from church today and our youngest (the first to enter the house again) came back out telling us there was (yes, once again) a fire inside.
Oh, my.

We were a bit skeptical, but since I continue to re-use (and dishwash) sour cream cartons it was possible, but how can I toss them?...this is green Colorado - come on! However, it was true. Our house smelled like an old hotel lounge - nasty old smoke and all. As I continued into the kitchen, I opened the oven door and easily identified the problem.
This morning, in our haste to rush out the door, I frantically scrubbed a few potatoes, turned the oven to time bake (so they'd be hot and ready when we walked in the door since we never seem to be able to catch breakfast on Sunday mornings) and threw the potatoes in as we rushed out the door.

Now - I specifically remember my 8th grade home economics teacher telling us that you have to poke a potato with a fork or knife before MICROWAVING it. But nothing - nothing about just normal oven baked potatoes. Apparently, she never told us - but it is true - they will explode. I have the photo to prove it. It completely lost half of itself!


And here's the shell of what was left:

And now - we have candles burning in every room of the house - trying to get rid of that lounge smell... what will the home teachers think?
And so finally, the moral of this story - always poke your potatoes.


By the way - on an editorial note - it IS possible for me to write about something other than the weather, food, and fires. I'll let you know when I do.

3 comments:

lizzie said...

only you!

The CLAMShack: said...

Mrs. Barrow would be so disappointed!!! Wow...i have not thought of that lady in YEARS!!! oh my gosh!!! the flood of memories....poor mrs. barrow.

Tisha said...

Okay, you make fancy gourmet cactus soup but didn't poke holes in your potatoes! I am laughing so hard! That is hilarious! Well, at least your girls will probably NEVER forget to poke holes in potatoes after this.

PS. Dave says, he thinks you keep having these disasters on purpose just to make for interesting blogging- if you are it's working :)