Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Cactus for Dinner?

So - I've been lugging a recipe around for over four years. I found it in the gourmet section of the newspaper several years ago, and I've had it on my menu at least six different times each year, and then chickened out. I finally decided to make it. Since I know some of my readers may be skeptical, I thought I'd do a photo documentation - I know you are just fascinated. Move over Emeril. Anyways - my friend said that she felt sorry for my family - can you believe it?? I think what she meant is that she and her family are totally jealous of my culinary prowess and she wishes SHE could make cactus soup. Just for that - here's the recipe

Mushroom Cactus Soup with Tomatillos
(Doesn't that title just sound AWESOME?)

1 lb. (approx. 2) nopales (cactus leaves)
1/2 lb. ripe tomatoes (2 med)
1/2 large onion
8 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 c. chopped jalapeño
1/4 t. crushed anise seeds
olive oil
6 c. vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 lb. (5 med) tomatillos, husked and washed
8 large sprigs cilantro

Pre-heat broiler
If nopales have needles/spikes, carefully trim from cactus with scissors or knife.
After removing needles, scrub with clean plastic scouring pad. Rinse with water and brush with olive oil.
Broil, turning occasionally until limp, approx. 10-15 minutes.

Set on large plate to cool, when cool, cut in 1/2 lengthwise, then cut each half into 1/4 inch slices. Set aside.

Place tomatillos and tomatoes whole on baking sheet and broil until soft and blackened in spots - approx. 4 minutes each side. Once cool, peel tomatoes.


Combine garlic, jalapeño, onion, and anise with enough olive oil to sauté vegetables in large stock pot. (Note, use gloves when seeding and chopping jalapeños. Removing inner seeds and veins will greatly reduce the jalapeños'heat.) Cook over medium until onions are tender and garlic is fragrant (6 min.)
Combine tomatoes and tomatillos in food processor with 2 cups stock and cilantro. Puree until chunky smooth. Add this to garlic and onion mixture along with remaining stock, and simmer over medium. Add thinly sliced mushrooms.

Cover, allow to simmer 20 minutes.

Add cactus to soup and simmer 5 minutes more.

Just for the record - the cactus has almost an asparagus like texture and maybe taste. The broth is amazing - it almost reminds me of a taco soup (but better) type broth. I thought the soup was fantastic. One of my kids said it was 'delicioso,' the other stated it was 'awful' - that's the picky one that doesn't like much of anything though. My husband said it was good - he really liked the broth, but didn't love the cactus. They ate it all at dinner if that was any indication. Any way you look at it - what a fun adventure!

5 comments:

Tisha said...

Wow! That is quite adventerous! I am glad it turned out and the family enjoyed it (for the most part anyway) gotta love those picky eaters!

Ashlee said...

Oh my goodness, you are such a dedicated cook! It looked yummy, I'm glad they liked it!

Ashlee said...

Oh yeah, I was going to tell you the Eskelsons had their twins! She wasn't actually due until July so they came at 24 weeks. They are all at Mckay Dee hospital and doing ok. If you want to see more, they have a blog at: eskelsonmiracles.blogspot.com

Jules said...

Very adventurous. I usually try new recipes just to mix it up a bit, but I think that one is out of my league. Thanks for the step by step pictures and instructions just in case.

lizzie said...

it was indeed very yummy. and that is coming from a particularly picky eater!