Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

What better way to celebrate Mother's Day than to learn of your children's achievements and see their progress?
We raced home from the theme park yesterday to a piano recital, getting there at 7:03. While I'd left a message to the teacher that we would be getting there just after it started, she missed the call, and our youngest daughter was first on the program. I was relieved that there were a few families who got there later than we did!

Here are our kids with their piano teacher prior to the recital
 


After the children all played their pieces, there was an awards ceremony and the kids got to find out how they did at their Guild competition at the beginning of the week. We were THRILLED to find out that our oldest daughter was one out of two students who received all 'commendations' and nothing in the 'needs attention' category. Both girls did fantastic in their divisions and we are so proud of them. We were also pleasantly surprised when our oldest daughter ALSO received a prize for being one of the two students who the teacher felt had made the most progress throughout the year!

Here are all of the kids with their certificates and awards.
 


Mother's Day was such a fun day. It was filled with laughter, which I loved. I really enjoyed the homemade gifts the kids made for me, and playing an M&M (mom & me) game with one of our daughters. You closed your eyes, pulled out an M&M and then answered the question that corresponded to the color of the M&M. It was quite enjoyable.
The girls made me their favorite cream of wheat for breakfast, then waffles and strawberries for lunch, and helped dad make spaghetti for dinner. Simple and yummy, and delicious because they made them and did the dishes.
I also took a very nice long siesta which was very appreciated and then we played some games together.

My husband knew that I've been working on some woodworking projects and so he thought that I might enjoy a dremmel. Yep...we've got some major role reversal, but I've been getting excited about tools and he just looks at me and shakes his head. Anecdotally, last Friday I was working hard on something that I'm making and while I was using the circular saw, I was trying to avoid my fingers. I was so studiously avoiding them, that I was surprised to suddenly notice an increase in the amount of sawdust I was kicking up. I thought I'd better check it out and realized that I'd been cutting the table along with my wood! Good thing it was the craft table at least. I got a pretty good laugh out of that one!
 

Finally, I thought I'd include a silly photo from our waffles and strawberries lunch. Somehow, (I'm really not sure how) my husband ended up with whipping cream in his hair. He then (with his extra long arm span) wiped it all over my face, and I grabbed another handful and chased him around the kitchen trying to retaliate. Yes I know - not very mature behavior when your kids are watching you, but I guess they enjoyed seeing us have fun together anyways. They couldn't believe how we were acting I guess. Here my husband has already washed his face because I did get him pretty well!
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: