Thursday, September 18, 2008

Worse than a bath

It really isn't very often that one of my kids say something that I gut laugh about, but it happened yesterday. My oldest child prefers to not bathe (I hope it is a stage). We have a standing rule that she MUST bathe/shower at least for Sunday, and we try to negotiate at least two other weekly showers in as well - but aren't always as successful as we'd like.
She LOVES to play in the mud in the back yard - in fact if I can't find her, there's a 99.9% chance that that's where she will be. Digging holes and making mud and actually, I'm not sure what she does with it other than wear it. I love for my kids to have imaginative play - last year they built the Nile and some pyramids. Anyways, she wears it on her face, her hair, arms, and legs and everywhere else. I'm actually ALL for it - but struggle with the whole not wanting to bathe afterwards part.
(I've used this picture in a previous post, but it clearly illustrates her penchant for mud - although she's generally dirtier than the other kids in this photo.)

SO - yesterday she took off to the neighbor's (to weave some hot pads) as soon as she got home from school. I brought her home so that she could work on her homework first. This is what I heard:
"I hate homework. It is the worst thing ever invented. I hate it more than anything." She didn't really get much of a response from me as she loves to rant and I have become rather desensitized over the years. Then as I walked out to the garage to grab something I heard, "This is worse than taking a bath!"
It was a really good thing I was out in the garage, because I couldn't stop laughing. It explains everything - so par for the course for her...
What do you know that is worse for your kids than a bath?

On a side note, after getting that out of her system, she buckled down, did the homework and ran off to play, quickly forgetting her intense pain.

2 comments:

Milly said...

That is hillarious! Worse than a bath, hu? Keith loves his baths! I hope he always will. Good luck with that.

Tisha said...

That is hilarious! James doesn't have issues with baths/showers but haircuts require INTENSE negotiations. I am sure these kids don't get their stubborness from us, right?