Saturday, September 13, 2008

Family Survivor Series

Ever tried to dry pack can 1,500 lbs of food with two little girls? I believe they should make it into one of those reality t.v. shows - like survivor.

Here's our front room before we started...


One of our kids decided that she could heft the 25 and 50 lb bags to pour the contents into the #10 cans…. She really didn’t believe us that it was a difficult job. I was very relieved when she decided to go help her dad push the button and keep the machine on the counter - she turned out to be a great help to him in that position and I love to see how patient he is with her!


Our other daughter was our great organizer. She put stickers on all of the cans and got them organized to take downstairs, and kept me supplied with clean cans, helping get oxy packs and lids on everything.

It always seems that once we get the production line finally into place things go well – it only took 3 hours, and the girls helped for 2 – and they were a great help!
We did get a can of wheat which was contaminated by some blood, and at least one can of oats spilled all over the floor -

BUT we survived, and are thrilled to be finished with that project!!

3 comments:

Jules said...

Hurray for you! I'll bet you're glad to get those all canned. Do you win a million for surviving the ordeal?

Milly said...

Wow, you are amazing! Where did you get the machine to seal the cans? Little helpers are always the best and the most appreciated, aren't they?

Ashlee said...

WOW! Oh how I wish I could be as prepared as you or even have a bit of the room you have to store things. Congratulations on the project! My goal is our 72 hour kits by next week! Wish me luck!