Sunday, April 20, 2008

Another Recipe

Today while exercising his culinary skills, some unnamed person happened to spill something in my recipe book. Normally, I wouldn't care, but in the inside pages of my recipe book, I've handwritten a few favorite recipes that I've picked up along the way. The pages were glued together, and even re-wetting them and gently prying was not effective in salvaging some of my favorites.
One of my favorites which was lost today was for Pecan Praline Cookies. In October of 2003, our newspaper ran a story of a firefighter cook-off in California. One of the prize winning recipes was from a Terry O'Reilly - and I loved this recipe - the cookies are great and they look fantastic too!
I was SO relieved to find in on the web - so I thought I'd post it here for posterities' sake. Yes, another recipe. By the way - if you ever make Kalua Pork (especially on Passover) 3 T. of salt is WAY too much!

Pecan Praline Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
11/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 and 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
11/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the icing:
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup whole pecans
In large mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; mix into butter mixture to blend thoroughly. Form tablespoons of dough into balls and place, spaced 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on pans 10 minutes, then remove to racks to cool completely.
To make icing: In small saucepan over medium heat, mix brown sugar and cream; bring to boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in powdered sugar; stir until smooth. Dip bottoms of pecans into icing and place 2 on each cookie; drizzle tops with icing.
Makes about 3 dozen (23/4-inch) cookies.
- Recipe from Terry O'Reilly of Ferndale, Calif., Volunteer Fire Department

No comments: