Tuesday, March 11, 2008

March 11, 2008

You know - I started to blog about the weather -
Who cares about the weather?

(Other than me - as I like to gripe about it)

So... we have been getting back into the run of life
We went to Moab last week.
We had some friends join us, and we spent a day
hiking through Arches National park.
I still have to say - Arches is one of my most
favorite spots on the planet.
(Besides Tobago that is)

The kids had a great time playing in the sand
and running around.
My husband ran the Moab half-marathon. He shaved 13 minutes
off of last year's time and finished in 1:36:00
It was a pretty cold day, and he was so excited to finally
start running after standing in the canyon freezing in his
shorts.
He did a great job though and we are super proud of him!
He has now determined that he wants to run a marathon
and qualify for and run in the Boston. That's something
to look forward to!
Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, so I'll be jerry rigging it
to get any photos on the blog - I'm not sure how to
make it work with a disposable - but never fear I will!~

It seems like everything always goes back to the weather.
I run out of things to ramble about and here I go on the weather
again.

I'm planning on making some caramels for a friend's birthday today
I thought I'd post the best ever caramels recipe.
It's from an old church cookbook, and the recipe is from
the Pabsts. I've made it several times and it always turns out great.

Caramels

1 Cup Butter
1 1/2 c. white corn syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 Cups sugar

Combine in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until comes to a boil. Continue stirring and cooking until candy reaches softball stage, 229-231 (depending on degree of hardness desired.) Pour immediately into a buttered 9x9x2 pan. Allow to cool then cut into squares. Wrap individual pieces in waxed paper.

Another awesome recipe from the Pabsts' (for posterity's sake)

Almond Brittle

1 pkg (6 oz) semi sweet or milk chocolate chips
1 c. butterscotch chips
1 c. blanched almonds (or whatever you have - toast them first though)

Put almonds on cookie sheet. Salt and toast at 350* for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, put chips in a pan and melt over low. Stir in toasted almonds. Spread on buttered cookie sheet or waxed paper (spread as thinly as possible). Chill until firm, then break into pieces.

Warning - this is addictive.

Oh - I do have something productive to report...
yesterday I spent the day and cleaned out my drawers.
Yes - my so unexciting life - but I finally have organized
drawers - and after 4 years of living here - boy is
it nice! I also cleaned out the study and got it
mostly organized. Soon - we will conquer!
So - there are the ramblings of a busy housewife -
who should be cleaning instead of blogging!
Go make some caramels!

No comments: